40. Geburtstag der DDR - 40th Birthday GDR



Den 7. Oktober 1989 war den 40. Geburtstags der DDR. Überall gab's Fanne! Rote und Staatliche Fanne hingen durchaus der Stadt.

October 7, 1989 marked the 40th anniversary of East Germany.  There were flags everywhere!  Both red flags and national flags were hung throughout the city.


Unten ist ein Foto von meinem Tagebuch.  Ich hatte diese Seite am 6. Oktober 1989 geschrieben.  Bitte verstehen, daß ich sehr emotionelle von der Erfahrungen beeindruckt.  Also, bitte durch dieser Lense es lesen.  Danke.

Below is a picture from my diary.  I wrote it on October 6, 1989.  Please understand the experiences I had were very emotional for me.  So, please read the excerpt through that lens.  Thanks.


Translation by the author, me!  :-)

"This land still confuses me and I believe it will the rest of my life.  A East German national flag is hanging outside my window in the Johannes R. Becher student housing and I really don't know whether I am embarrassed or proud of it.  Tomorrow is East Germany's 40th birthday and should I celebrate?  I should stay neutral, and I am, but only because my heart is torn!!  There is so much to hate (dislike), and yet so much to love; I am surprised.  There are flags everywhere:  red for workers and national for everyone (blue and white collar).  "Workers' and Peasants' State": what's the point?

A piece of the puzzle has been lost.  The circle cannot support itself.  The machine needs replacement parts [needs to be fixed].  But the replacement parts are not available and many people no longer want to wait in line.  Do I blame them?  No.  And for those who are still waiting?  Lord, give them the strength to endure.  Flags everywhere ... and one doesn't know if he has something to celebrate or to burn.  That is how I see the problem - no one knows."